"Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying:"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:4-5

Monday, March 15, 2010

Why Evangelize?


As I think about the emphasis on evangelism in the church I have come to ask myself some questions. If evangelism is so important to our Christian faith then why is it so hard to talk to others about Him? Why is it that as Christian we have such a difficult time talking to heathens about the cross and God’s overwhelming love for mankind? Whether its fear of getting into an unwanted argument with someone, or losing a friendship with a co-worker, or maybe feeling like you don’t know enough to defend the gospel properly, there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed in all of us. That is the lack of intimacy we have with our Savior.
John Piper says that evangelism exists because worship doesn’t. We evangelize because we desire for the world to experience Gods love and Glory the same as we have experienced. If we haven’t experienced that love and Glory then it makes perfect sense not to talk about Jesus. I don’t expect a cat to bark or a dog to meow. However, if you are a man or woman who believes on the name of Jesus, but still has hesitancy about revealing Christ to a lost and dying world, I understand. I can remember the deep breath right before I started talking about Jesus to a heathen, like I was about to jump off a cliff into cold water. I remember when God spoke to me and asked me the same question I am asking you, “Why is it so hard to tell people about Me?” Why is it that I break out in a cold sweat every time I feel that I need to say something about my faith? I didn’t know how or what it meant to worship Him.
David says in Psalm 63:2, “So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and Your glory.” It was in that place or worship and praise where God’s power and glory was revealed to the psalmist. David learned how to worship God by being in His presence. It is why David could say, “In Your presence is fullness of joy…” That is what evangelism truly is. It is us telling an ignorant world that all joy, all love, and all purity is found in God’s presence. His presence is found through Jesus Christ, His cross and His resurrection. If we are having a difficult time conveying this, whether by our own fears or insecurities, I suggest this: stop trying to evangelize and learn to worship Him. We try to put the cart before the horse by trying to evangelize without knowing, truly knowing God through Jesus. Worship should always precede evangelism. When we do things in this order we will not have to try to evangelize, but it will be an instinctual part of our everyday lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment